World Class Commercial Contracts Drafting, Negotiation and Dispute Resolution For Oil & Gas Excellence 2017Date: 13th to 15th March 2017, Dubai
With the increasing number of oil & gas cross-border transactions, understanding how to negotiate, draft and interpret the terms of international business agreements plays a vital role in achieving successful deals. In particular this can also be the first step in order to avoid long and ruinous disputes, and subsequent expensive and complex litigation and arbitration proceedings.
This practical course will first examine the principles of international contract law, with specific reference to the oil & gas industry, using as a basis some standard of EPC Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement, PSA Production-Sharing Agreement, License-Concession Agreement, Joint – Venture Agreement, and more in general exploring today’s internationally accepted commercial contracts principles. It will investigate the single issues of the contracts in order to understand in detail what it is typical of the oil & gas industry and how to negotiate efficiently any of their material issues. It will include best practice tools, tips and techniques on all key elements that are essential when drafting, negotiating and interpreting oil & gas and international contracts.
The course will also cover both theoretical and practical aspects of the management of oil & gas disputes. It will investigate how to prevent litigation and the ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) processes, including early neutral evaluation and expert determination.
This course will also discuss the pros and cons of addressing a dispute to “special courts” such as DIFC Dubai International Finance Centre courts and SICC Singapore International Commercial Court, which are growing visibility and importance in today’s litigation world.
At the end of this unique course, participants will gain the following:
- Gain insights into the way oil companies and contractors view and negotiate oil&gas agreements.
- Know the specialized concepts and terminology related to oil & gas contracts and with the specific English legal language.
- Understand the single details of the typical oil & gas contracts, in order to know how to address and negotiate efficiently any of their material issues.
- Acquire skills and techniques to negotiate these contracts and find the best and most efficient way to solve any potential and actual dispute.
- Get a clear understanding of the ADR Alternative Dispute Resolution processes, how they work and how they can be implemented successfully.
- Understand the basic elements of international and domestic arbitration, including doctrine and materials from international practice, cases and awards.
- Be entirely familiar with the steps of arbitration proceedings and how inhouse counsel and other party representatives can contribute to successfully manage a case.
- Recognize the international institutions and organizations (like for instance the CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, the ICC International Chamber of Commerce, the LCIA London Court of International Arbitration, the UNIDROIT International Institute for the Unification of Private Law and the UNCITRAL United Nation Commission on International Trade Law) that influence and determine the structural context in which the management of international disputes operates.
- Understand if and why to address an investment dispute to the ICSID International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, the litigation institution of theWorld Bank.
- Discuss the increasing role of “special courts” such as DIFC Dubai International Finance Centre courts and SICC Singapore International Commercial Court.
Who Should Attend
All those involved in exploration, production, purchase, transportation, product treatment and sales, including:
- Asset managers
- E&P professionals and managers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Reservoir Engineers
- Buyers, Sellers & Distributors
- Services Sector providers
- Consultants, Advisers and Legal